Thursday, October 14, 2010

Waterloo-Last Rodeo of the 2010 Fall Season

After this weekend....it is finished.

The last rodeo of the 2010 fall high school rodeo season completed.

It brings mixed emotions.

Those super- crazy, full of fun, jam -packed weekends are done.

What will we do now?

Rest, sleep in for sure on Saturday mornings. Breathe. Save money...all just to name a few ideas I suppose.

It's been a wild ride and I feel like I've come to semi-understand what God has in mind for us. His presence is not widely seen in this circle of people. Mostly rough, beer drinking men and women, drowning themselves in their sorrows, wanting to win at all costs.

We are a different kind of people within this circle. We carry ourselves with God's standards as our guide. They are not sure what to do with us, though they admit we are very friendly and Cole is teachable.

Ya don't see much of either of those two character traits here often. Not in the rodeo scene.

Tori, Jen and I did the chili cook-off fundraiser to help with the costs associated with all this fun and I have to admit I really wanted to win.





The prizes were amazing.

Just picture Pamered Chef gift baskets filled with hundreds of dollars worth of wonderful goodies. What is not to want about that?

Our chili was entitiled "Bareback Jack Southern -Style Chili" made by "Mom and Sisters for Family Rodeo." Pretty catchy huh? I submitted this info so that my official booth sign could be made.

So can you imagine my embarrassment when I reported to my chili station only to see that the sign for my team read "Mom Picton for Family.'

Okay. Seriously folks. Is this how I am viewed here?

Now picture Cousin Jen all but rolling on the ground in hysterics over this sign. Thanks my friend.

Top this off with a close but no cigar loss in the chili contest......and my spirits were low:(

At the rodeo that evening Cole covered his ride and had quite a cheering section to boot. He rides with a flashy style and is working on developing it even more to define the look. The judges look for this along with riding technique. Your chaps and boots and audience appeal is all part of the bareback riding package.

So that boosted my spirits back up!

I've relaxed a lot since we started this season and now can enjoy his show. He has never been bucked off at the high school level and he had his mind set on leading Iowa's points and being competitive at finals next summer. As determined as he is, I don't doubt him.

Signing off from fall season Iowa High School Rodeo, this is Mom Picton for Family.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Mom Picton, sorry you didn't win but glad it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, the written version wasn't quite as entertaining as the oral version--maybe it's just because I didn't get to see the indignation in your eyes and hear it in your voice. giggle. But it did bring it back to me, and I giggled in memory.

    Afraid I'm on that same list with Cousin Jen in the support department.

    LOL

    So when will IHSR resume? Spring? Summer??? It would be fun to catch a close one and cheer for Cole!

    ReplyDelete